Plan ahead on the Alaskan Way Viaduct closure for 2 weeks whether you are traveling from Seattle, Bellevue’s Eastside or in the area. WSDOT is closing the Viaduct for approximately two weeks beginning on April 29 while Bertha, the SR 99 tunneling machine, tunnels beneath the structure. SR 99 will be closed from the south end of the Battery Street Tunnel to Spokane Street.
Take public transportation or work from home if possible to reduce traffic and congestion in the downtown streets and area. West Seattle commuters can use the water taxi. Stay informed and watch for detour updates and information. http://wp.me/P5lUqb-4N
Here are some ways be informed during the construction period and be patient.
- Expect rush congestion during rush hours.
- Stay informed: use links to apps, cameras, detour maps for current information.
- Be patient: WSDOT is coordinating with partner agencies to keep people moving during the closure.
- Stay flexible: If possible, take an alternate route or travel at non-peak times.
- See the commuter alternatives handout (PDF 0.5 mb) for ways and ideas on adjusting you commute.